Tuesday 7 August 2012

Scarlet Fever, part 2.

Day 3 in hospital had a pretty rough start overnight.  The cannula was leaking, which was making his little hand swell up, so it had to come out.  Didn't take even half a second for me to then realise it would have to be replaced.  And at midnight, oh the joy.  This time things didn't go as smoothly, the numbing cream hadn't been on for as long for one.  The swelling had also made the veins more difficult to find, which resulted in 3 attempts. 3 needles stuck in his nearly not numbed enough hand.  To say he cried would be an understatement, poor little guy just flat out screamed as loud as he could for the whole time.  It was heart breaking.  I was whispering into his ear, trying to sooth him by talking about that silly Very Hungry Caterpillar.  Legoman would eat lemons if he was a caterpillar, so he would be a yellow butterfly.  Mummy would be a brown butterfly because she loves to eat chocolate.  Voltorb would be a lolly butterfly, Oshawott would be blue because that is his favourite colour.  None of this helped, or maybe it did, I am certain it would have been alot more traumatic if I wasn't there cuddlying him and soothing him.

It was 2 o'clock by the time he was settled back to sleep, I snuggled in next to him in the bed to comfort him while he slept. He slept well until about 8am.  I was a bit all over the place, being woken by the newborns often, and whenever the nurses came to do obs on Oshawott.

We had a visit in the morning from the team of doctors and residents doing rounds. The Paediatric surgeon or as Coder titled him "Super turbo end boss doctor" was the Dr who cared for Oshawott back in 2009, when he almost died from Pneumonia.  He is incredibly amazing at his job.  They examined Oshawott again, and he called forth the students to feel that tell tale rash. He explained why they determined it was Scarlet Fever, and not a more sinister disease, Kawaski Disease.  Both diseases were considered early on, but from analysing symptoms and lack of symptoms the 'team' were confident they had the right answer.   

Of course I had questions.  Why?  Why again did our little boy end up with something like this!
The short version?

Bad luck.

The long version:
It started off as a bacteria, in his throat.  It sent his immune system into overdrive, and somehow resulted in Scarlet Fever. I guess I did miss understanding a bit of the explanation, but I think that was the gist of it.

So another person with the bacteria would not react in the same way.  Just the way the cookie crumbles.  For Oshawott that cookie always crumbles, can't  we just enjoy a full cookie?

The anti-biotics help, but not a great deal. Makes sense now, that was why he didn't seem to be getting any better.  He had to fight it on his own, and it would take time.  It also explained why every lymph node in his body was swollen and his skin was red raw, hot to the touch and at times, itchy.  

At 5 o'clock he was fairly perky, all considering.  And I have seen his moods go up and down so much in here.  One minute he will be telling me he loves me, and then he tells me he is not my friend anymore.  

Perkiness quickly disappeared as a nurse came and put some cream in his eyes, numbing liquid in his mouth and cream on his dry lips.  He was NOT happy.  Now he couldn't see again, and had a horrible taste in his sore mouth.  He cried himself to sleep.  :(   And slept for 4 hours, missing out on dinner (that he wouldn't eat anyway) and pizza that he requested (and likely wouldn't have eaten either).  But I would have gone and got it!  Just to have him want to eat something was enough for me to run (because he was being brave by himself) through the rain at dusk, trying to get him a hotdog as he had requested the day before.  His mouth hurt too much though, and only managed one bite of that.

So I was feeling pretty low at this point.  Really seemed like he was looking better at times then seemed to go backwards again.  The nurses have been fantastic and the doctors answer any questions I have.  On Day 2 morning my mum offered to come (from Broken Hill) to help.  I said no, he would be better before she even arrived (wouldn't he?)  I didn't want to put anyone out.  Travelling that far certainly constitutes as putting someone out.  But after speaking to the nurses, who said it would take a little while, even when we were home for him to get better, and Coder telling me it was 'ok' to ask for help.  He offered to ring her and have a chat, I agreed, there was no way I could talk to her without crying.

Coder sent me a message a little bit later, saying she was coming.  What a relief, I didn't realise how much it had been getting to me.  I had a little cry, just quietly, in relief, everything is made better with your Mum by your side. Just ask Oshawott.

During the night, his IV line stopped working.  Just fantastic.  It had not quite even been 24 hours since the last time!  Thankfully one of the nurses was able to save it.  It had a blockage right at the point where it enters his vein.  She managed to syringe it through with saline. 

He was awake until 1am, then we both got some sleep.

Scarlet Fever, part 1

Scarlet Fever, part 3


  1. You are such a brave woman Sophie! I love that you have asked your Mum for help because I often do the same thing - keep saying that it is OK until I realise that it isn't and I need help. My parents aren't as far away as your Mum, but they aren't close by either. I always feel like I am burdening them if I ask them for help. I guess I need to remember that if any of my kids asked for help - no matter where I was - I would be there in a flash.

  2. Hang in there! You're doing an amazing job and keeping it together really well! I am super impressed with how well you're doing.


Share This


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...